18 October 2007

"safe" sex or just safer sex?

Class last night got me thinking. It was probably just a result of listening to all these risk buzzwords and phrases, but the phrase "safe sex" got stuck in my head.
And I started wondering--is there really such a thing as safe sex? (i know that sounds very sex and the city, but read on--this actually has a lot to do with my project)

Sex that we (meaning society, I guess) consider safe is sex where STDs won't be spread and unwanted children won't be conceived. But consider other negative effects that even "safe" sex can have. I know this requires some assumptions. I'm assuming most people (though, I'll acknowledge, not everyone) attach some emotional significance to sex. And I'm further assuming that adolesence is a time when people are very if not most vulnerable (i'm sure more than would admit it--but again, not everyone).
I don't really consider myself socially conservative--I'm committed to the belief that everyone has to make their own decisions in life. But I do worry that, especially for teens, "safe" sex isn't safe enough. That's why a big component of my project, the teen pregnancy prevention reforms, suggests that teens could really use mentors, role models, or even just after-school programs that promote personal development.
The intention of mentors would be to give students some guidance. I guess I was hoping students could get to know young adults and ensure that they have good, responsible examples in front of them. (I suggested student teachers taking on a larger role in reaching out to students, because of their youth, their ability to connect to high schoolers, and their lack of authoritative presence.) And I think building teen's skill sets (learning an instrument, college test prep, have them serve the community in some way, playing club sports teams) will also help build teen's self-confidence. A higher self confidence translates to a higher degree of self awareness (knowing if they're emotionally ready). And anyway, it would give them something new to think about!
Just wanted to expand on that thought, and figured I'd record it here--sorry, Jamie, if this is too informal for our class.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Of course! I really like that you're using the blog to bounce ideas around.

Cheers,

Jamie